First off, I want to apologize for the bad audio. It's very hard to record audio under linux, and I'm using the best free software available to users to do it. It will continue to improve over time. :)
In this first episode, I review a few plugins, new and old:
- Enhanced Zoom
- Color Filter
Then, I let you know how to install compiz fusion, via either Trevinho's repository or gitweb.
Here are the instructions I talk about in the video. They are generally for Feisty Fawn users, but can be adjusted to fit others' needs:
INSTALLING VIA TREVINHO'S REPOSITORY:
- Paste the following two lines into your /etc/apt/sources.list file. Open the file by running the command sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
- deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/3v1deb feisty eyecandy
- deb-src http://download.tuxfamily.org/3v1deb feisty eyecandy
- Save the file, then close. Type:
- wget http://download.tuxfamily.org/3v1deb/DD800CD9.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
- run sudo apt-get update
- run sudo apt-get upgrade
- Open up Synaptic Package Manager (System>Administration) and search for compiz fusion.
- select for installation:
- compiz-fusion-plugins-extra, compiz-fusion-plugins-main, compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported, compizconfig-settings-manager, emerald, emerald-themes
- Install them. If you get an error, click apply again. It should resolve itself. If not, head to IRC.
- Go this page and locate the fusion-icon .deb package that ends with i386. Download and install it. This will give you fusion-icon, the starter panel applet.
- Install it.
- Run fusion-icon (applications>system tools>Compiz Fusion Icon)
- Follow the directions on this forum post by Fyda.
- Compiz Fusion should be up and running now!
- Check out Getting Started with Compiz Fusion, a video I made which helps you get configured correctly once you install and launch compiz fusion.
- Any problems, please go on IRC (as explained in the video).
- Have fun!
Finally, I show you how the Colorfilter plugin works!
I hope you enjoy this episode. I look forward to continuing with these video casts.
Find the original MPEG file here.
Please email me at fusioncast at gmail dot com!
I am on IRC frequently under the nick of gavintlgold.
Also, comment by clicking on the link below.