In this episode...
- A git howto!
- A get-git script howto!
- The first n00bs section, where we talk about compiz running (or not running) on Windows, as well as mention the benefits of using the Terminal!
- A demo, and instructions on how to install, the Screensaver Plugin!
- Tips section, including nvidia black window bug problems and Avant Window Navigator!
- The Plugin Idea of the Week!
Notes for this episode...
GIT TUTORIAL NOTES:
The Compiz Fusion Git Repository
Click on a plugin, and look for the url on the resulting page.
- git clone: create a new folder with the package
- git pull: update an existing package.
- git clone git://anongit.opencompositing.org/....
Sequence to get a new plugin installed:
- cd /home/[username]/compiz (assuming that's the compiz fusion gitweb folder)
- git clone git://anongit.opencompositing.org/...
- If the result of ls contains "autogen.sh", run:
- sudo make install
- Otherwise, run:
- make install
Sequence to update:
- cd /home/[username]/compiz/[plugin]
- git pull
- (add the rest of the commands above, starting with ls)
GET GIT NOTES:
To install via Get-Git:
- Follow the instructions in Step 1 here: Fyda's Forum Post.
- Download either the original version here, or the updated version here (updated just includes fyda's addon and the extra repositories I use).
- If you are using the updated version, run the command:
- sudo apt-get install x11proto-scrnsaver-dev libxss-dev (to get screensaver to work)
- Create a new folder called compiz. Then place the downloaded get-git file inside.
- Open up the get-git file with Text Editor.
- Read the top lines, and follow the instructions on the comments. If you use the updated one, you shouldn't have to do anything, if you are running Ubuntu Feisty Fawn, or another gnome-based install.
- To add another plugin package, use this syntax:
- ITEMS="$ITEMS users/crdlb/...."
- Save the file, and close it.
- cd compiz
- Wait for all packages to download and install. Enter your password when prompted.
- Start compiz with the command fusion-icon, or open it from Applications>System Tools>Compiz Fusion Icon.
INSTALLING SCREENSAVER PLUGIN:
If you used the script above, then do nothing. You have it already!
Otherwise, run the commands:
- sudo apt-get install x11proto-scrnsaver-dev libxss-dev
- cd compiz
- git clone git://anongit.opencompositing.org/users/pafy/screensaver
- cd screensaver
- sudo make install
AVANT WINDOW NAVIGATOR
To install, run these commands:
- sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
- Add this to the end of the file:
- ## Avant Window Navigator
- deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/syzygy42/ feisty avant-window-navigator
- deb-src http://download.tuxfamily.org/syzygy42/ feisty avant-window-navigator
- save, close.
- wget http://download.tuxfamily.org/syzygy42/8434D43A.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt-get install avant-window-navigator-svn
EDIT: Thanks to a comment, we've found a better way to add launchers.
To add launchers, don't use the dialogue with the "add" button, since the add button is broken. Instead, drag stuff directly from your Applications folder into AWN.
PLUGIN IDEA OF THE WEEK
Find the original AVI file here.
Please email me at fusioncast at gmail dot com!
I am on IRC frequently under the nick of gavintlgold.
Also, comment by clicking on the link below.
Search the forums first if you have a problem!
If you enjoy this, please digg it (see the digg button in the sidebar).